Lotus Birth (Another Treatment of Cord Care)
Long enough there has been no chance to write articles about pregnancy and childbirth. Some time ago accidentally found an interesting discussion about the pros cons lotus birth. So allow me to tackle this topic from different angles. Hope can be useful for all.
A. Lotus Birth in Culture point of view (Sociology)
1. In the current medical point of view, the placenta is a clinical waste. But the policy does not stand alone and can change by considering the sociological side of the patient.
2. Application of lotus birth is an approach to the ancient tradition that developed in various regions such as India, China and Egypt. In other sources also conducted in several regions in America and Australia. Reference about lotus birth is found in almost all religious teachings, namely Buddhism, Hinduism, Christianity and Jews. So it can not be said only the teachings of one religion alone because the origin of eruption is also unclear.
3. Labor in the human life cycle is a special phase, especially for those who run the first time. From this position this phase is so sacred to certain traditions, cultures and religions. It's not just biological processes of removing things from within the body like throwing away dirt. No wonder for the culture, traditions, and religion is related to the thing ghoib, the symbol of life and relationship with nature or their creator. Like some of the following perspectives: in Hinduism, allowing the placenta to be fully connected with the birth of the god of wisnu to maintain its godlike nature, the placenta is the brother of the infant (Long, 1963. p 234), the placenta part of the creator of the sun and earth (Knapp Van Bogaert and Ogunbajo, 2008. P. 45) and others. Because in the sociology of human behavior to something is strongly influenced by material things (environmental conditions, geographical location, climate, weather, etc.) and non-material (culture, culture, norms and religion).
4. Lotus practice in the hospital is rarely done because of the protap-protap in it. In modern practice only a small portion of delivery services often perform this method. Social research on placentas is limited and performed by midwives (Bastien, 2004: Fahy et al 2010: Fery, 2007). This may be because Western countries consider the placenta as a clinical waste and not taken into account at all (Birdsong, 1998. Callaghan, 2007). In social behavior for mothers who undergo lotus birth they realize that the placenta is the right baby and not his mother because since in the womb, the fetus can play with talipusatnya and it is a source of comfort and habit. So the mother feels this is very gentle, precious and worthy to be respected. (Burns E, 2014)
5. Lotus birth is not hindhu religion.
As well as the process of burning cords are also done by Hindus by through the chant of gayatri Mantra until Talipusat burned down.
Muslims who perform this method do not need to perform a series of rituals and chanting mantras, we only perform the process of proper placental care. We can not easily claim that this method is forbidden in religion because it resembles another religious culture (Tasyabbuh).
Now let's think for a moment, is it certain that this method was first initiated by other religious people? Then how about maryam childbirth? The one he was about to give birth went away to a distant place (Surat Mayam: 22). Could Maryam have brought a knife or other sharp object to cut? Could it have brought a match or something to burn talipusat? Trying to understand Maryam's letter by describing Maryam's condition at the time. Or whether Hindus and others are more creative in making the terms first although Maryam's childbirth also illustrates the same fantasy that it is less popular. Wallahua'lam.
B. Lotus Birth in Medical point of view
1. The benefits of Lotus Birth is similar to Delayed Cord Clamping (DCC)
Lotus birth is another preferred method of treating talipusat. This method is also through a series of DCC or by delaying plumbing and cutting center. Is not Lotus Birth also postponed? It's just that the time is longer and the final process is not cutting. Then this method also has been able to absorb the benefits of DCC in maximizing the amount of blood supply into the baby's body.
2. The delay of 100 minutes' granulation and truncation of talipusat is not enough
In a study study delaying placement and cutting talipusat within 5 seconds and 60 seconds at birth, the amount of blood that enters the baby's body is not much different. The amount of incoming blood volume will increase sharply at a delay after 5 minutes.
So the time interval of 1-3 minutes DCC is still not enough to reduce the risk of anemia in infants. In the Practical Handbook of Normal Birth Assembly, Geneva Switzerland, 1997 states that delayed pengekleman (or not at all diklem) is a physiological way in the treatment center and talipusat pemekleman early is an intervention that still requires further verification.
3. Lotus Birth causes yellow baby ??
Lotus birth is the practice of abandoning talipusat in its entirety so as not to impede normal physiological processes in Wharton's jelly changes that result in natural internal pengelleman within 10-20 minutes postpartum. Newborns have immature liver organ, therefore the liver can not process bilirubin well enough to make the baby yellow. This is a physiological state and can not be said to be caused by infants with lotus births because newborns with pengekleman and cutting dinipun can experience the same thing. I worked in the Hospital for a few years and found many babies in phototherapy (yellow baby care) when they were not born with the lotus birth method.
As we admire the design of Allah SWT in creating the pelvis in such a way as well as the hormones in the body of women in order to conceive and run the labor in a physiological process (natural) then we should increase our faith to believe that Allah SWT has designed talipusat pengekleman naturally. God is the Most Intelligent, the Most Intelligent. Is there a process of this creation happening not based on his intervention ???
Let the mother say many istigfar, begging forgiveness for our faltering creed just because of this very physiological process.
4. Lotus Birth causes infection?
We need to know the signs of talipusat infection include: talipusat smelly, fever, reddish navel spread to the surrounding skin, there is pus. Is there a clinical report about the incidence of infants having talipusat infection due to Lotus Birth?
The disadvantage of this method is due to improper placental care. But even a poor way of placental treatment will only accelerate the process of placental decay but does not spread to talipusat causing infections in infants. This method has ensured that all systems in the talent center are closed and within 1 day postpartum, talipusat becomes dry like twigs. So there is no chance of germs to enter into talipusat.
5. Evidence Based (Based on Evidence)
Spread the word or something related to medical should include scientific evidence as the basis for midwifery care. In the advanced research phase, the Randomized Controlled Trial of Lotus Birth has not yet been discovered. This research is expensive and long, but this has been found at Level III Evidence Based which involves the opinion of authority, clinical experience and descriptive research. Below we will first explain more details about the difference of critical thinking process, clinical judgment and evidence based care.
A. Critical Thinking (Critical Thinking)
Is a way of thinking about the subject, content or problem that thinkers are doing actively on their intektual. In practice this is based on intellectual universal values that transcend the branch of a particular science. The three main keys in critical thinking are, recognizing problems, assessing some opinions, and drawing conclusions.
B. Clinical Judgment (Clinical Assessment)
The word assessment is an ability to make logical / rational decisions and determine whether an action is going to be right / wrong. While the word clinical is related to actual patient care. Based on observations that are distinguished between theory and experimental. So clinical judgment is part of the process of critical thinking but its level is more grounded because of the actual patient.
C. Evidence based Health Care
Is an application of critical thinking based on scientific method used in health decision making. In the implementation of the final decision in providing health services also combines with the level of knowledge / education, clinical experience and prevailing policies.
Lotus birth practice is run on health services both in Indonesia and abroad shows the following results:
1) Lotus birth is useful as DCC is the addition of blood supply from the placenta to the baby. Dr Sarah Buckley said: "The baby will receive an additional 40-60 ml of blood known as a placental transfusion. This transfuse blood contains iron, red blood cells, blood chips and other nutrients that will benefit the baby until the first year. " The loss of 30 ml of newborn blood is equivalent to the loss of 600 ml of blood for adults. Given the cutting immediately before talipusat pauses allowing the newborn to lose 60 ml of blood equivalent to 1200 ml of adult blood.
2) Lotus birth accelerates the process of talipusat pemuputan. Such release generally occurs 3-10 days after birth. I have accompanied some patients who want the lotus birth method. The results of clinical judgment show that the length of the day of puputnya talipusat lasted an average of 2-4 days. There is a difference in the state of talipusatal within 24 hours postnatal in the baby Lotus Birth and delayed cord clamping. Talipusat state on lotus birth within 24 hours has dried up to the base of talipusat like twig plants. While on talcusat DCC process is still very wet. This opinion is corroborated in a study that states "The release of placenta in the method of Lotus Birth is faster than conventional methods ...". (Ratnasari L, et al., 2013).
3) The absence of a clinical report that indicates a dangerous lotus birth method and leads to a newborn's tuberculosis infection.
4) Plus the psychosocial benefits, eg strengthening bounding attachment, focusing care with mother and father, is expected to reduce the risk of bacterial and bacterial infections brought by visitors because waiting until puput etc.
6. Human genetic makeup is different from cats and dogs.
Most mammals cut and eat their own placenta are believed to be because the placenta is rich in the nutrients that the mother needs in order to recover from the suffering of childbirth and support milk production to breastfeed her baby. Some mammals fast during the last 24 hours of pregnancy, this can also be another reason why they desperately need nutrients at that time. When they need the placenta, then automatically also talipusat son impressed cut.
The modern practice of Lotus Birth shows mammals that have 99% genetic material similar to humans are chimpanzees. Simpansepun let the placenta remain intact, not damage or cut it.
So if you want to equate humans in the process of treatment talipusat with cats or dogs is not appropriate.
7. Lotus Birth dangerous / complicated or complicate postpartum mother
The answer to this statement is better suited to the proverb, "do not know then no one". Because for some people this new experience, try clarification on mothers and other families who already have experience of applying Lotus Birth in a modern and please compare. Is it troublesome? I used to imagine it like that. It's hard to carry a placenta with a basin with a baby everywhere. But when running it was so easy. We can hold the baby with only one hand and the other hand hold the basin. If you are used to carrying a baby this would be easy to do.
C. Lotus Birth in Islamic point of view
This is related in the assimilation of religion with culture. We should not be in a hurry to draw conclusions. If we take note, LB implementation already exists from Judaism (1500 BC) and Buddhism (520 BC) then we can not attach it to Buddhism. Therefore let us consider the historical aspect of restoring the science of medicine Dien Islam. Like the birth of traditional Chinese medicine that was claimed since 3000 years ago, Is it true from china or is there any older tapping?
If indeed lotus birth is a cultural heritage so that every society that implements it is always accompanied by a certain ritual, What if the ritual is removed then the birth process using this method will be bad?
In this case we can learn about ruqyah, where Rosulullah Shalallaahu'alayhi wasallam asked to be shown meruqyah method which is asked by Auf bin Malik Radhiallahu'anhu. 'Auf bin Malik Radhiallahu'anhu, said: "In the past we were meruqyah in the time of ignorance and we asked:' O Rosulullah what do you think about it ?. He replied: Show me your ruqyah-ruqyah. Ruqyah-ruqyah is not why as long as it does not contain shirk '. "(HR Muslim No. 2200). The key word is in the content of shirk. If we are rigid then conventional treatment will fall in prohibition.
There are several things we need to consider from Lotus Birth:
1. The basic law of every practice which has no proof of prohibition is allowed. Is there a proposition that prohibits lotus birth? So far we have not found.
2. Is this practice a ritual of other people's worship or just a culture that can be released from the influence of religion and or beliefs contained kesyirikan? (Read again Maryam's delivery)
3. Lotus Birth is a world problem, so we need to know whether there are benefits and badness in this method? Which is greater than benefits with evil? (Already answered in the medical point of view above).
While the problem tasyabbuh or resemble other people then we can not suddenly put on a deed, for example the majority of Muslims today using trousers. Who first popularized trousers? Muslim or non Muslim? If non-Muslims then means the majority of Muslims are sinful with bagyabbuh burden. So we must be able to distinguish culture (culture is a habit) with aqidah.
In the science of philosophy, science can change. I think everyone agrees that the scholarship is developing and renewing, for example in midwifery care: it was recommended to give exclusive breastfeeding for only 4 months but in fact is now changed to 6 months to 2 years, the first IMD and outpatient process is not considered important but now Is considered important because of its benefits and may be so for the science of talipusat treatment.
With these various considerations I deeply appreciate and respect the choice of mothers and families because there I see self-empowerment, the process of adding knowledge and insight to them. All that is seen when discussing with them directly. The choice of patients I handle for LB is of course still very little compared to delayed (delay) clamp especially early (early) clamp. Perhaps because not many are up date and many things that background. Ultimately all of that is returned to the patient to choose the method of the delivery sequence, the health worker is only obliged to communicate openly the shortcomings and the advantages. Then medical personnel must perform monitoring, mentoring and intervention as indicated if necessary.
Thus according to the point of view I have dug from various sources. Allah the Most Intelligent, the Most Wise God, the Most Holy God and me who still lack many want to always improve themselves. I would like to thank Prof Khomaini Hasan and other friends who helped me in writing this article.
-Wife ViennaNatural Birth Care-
# Next I have included baby lotus birth 24 hours post birth
My patient who has practiced lotus birth: Mother Arita Zain, Mother Leoni Arista Subekti, Mother Anita Puspitasari, Mother Hendry Dwi Prastanti, Mother Sylvia Dwi Wahyuni, Mother Rachmalla Esaputri Respati Raisandi.
1. Al-Qur'an and Hadith
2. www.bidankita.com> Childbirth> All About Childbirth
3. www.duniasehat.net/2014/03/lotusbir ...
4. www.journal.akbideub.ac.id/index.ph ...
5. https: //moudyamo.wordpress.com / ... / ....
6. www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/P ...
7. www.nice.org.uk/guidance/cg62/evide ...
8. https: //oshigita.wordpress.com / ... / .....
9. http: //unikterbaru.wordpress.com/20 ...
10. And others.